Stocks & Securities
Giving a gift of stocks or securities will help BookSpring continue its literacy mission and can provide substantial tax benefits. Donating appreciated stocks, mutual funds, or bonds to BookSpring is an efficient way to contribute funds that may provide you with extra value due to the way that appreciated assets are sometimes treated by the IRS differently than cash. Please consult your tax advisor for more details about these specific benefits.
If you are ready to give stocks or other securities, there are two ways that you can give to BookSpring:
- Contact a Donor Advised Fund (see below) and follow their instructions to set up an account and make a donation.
- Contact BookSpring at email@example.com or (512) 472-1791 x 104 and we can help you make a donation directly into BookSpring’s brokerage account by providing account routing information and signing any required forms. BookSpring will provide you with a charitable gift receipt for direct donations of stock based on the value of the stock at the time and date the transfer is made.
Donor Advised Funds
A donor-advised fund, or DAF, is a charitable giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to support your favorite causes.
Why a DAF could be right for you:
- DAFs allow you to donate cash, stock and other assets as charitable gifts over several years.
- DAFs provide a flexible and easy method of giving if you support multiple charities.
- DAFs may be used to complement or replace a private foundation.
DAFs are a great way to make planned giving a part of your personal philanthropy practice. Today, it’s easy to set up these funds yourself online, or through a brokerage or financial advisor. Some of the DAF services that current BookSpring donors regularly use include:
TD Ameritrade DAF at Schwab:
But there are others providers of DAFs, including the Austin Community Foundation. Again, consult your personal financial advisors who may provide other recommendations. Funders do not always provide contact information to charities for DAF contributions, but they do provide the gift receipts and send designated charities the liquidated securities as ACH cash or checks.
Once you have a DAF account set up, follow the fund’s instructions to make a charitable gift directly towards BookSpring. Our EIN # is 74-2542664 and our mailing address is 2006 Greenbrook Parkway, Austin, TX 78723. If you need any additional information to set up the grant, just let us know.
We do appreciate your letting us know in advance that funds are coming by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 472-1791 x 104 so we can keep an eye out and thank you directly! If you wish to remain anonymous, we are always happy to honor that preference publicly, but we would like to be able to contact you from time to time to let you know how your gift is being used in the community.
Donating stocks or securities may make a lot of sense in today’s economy, but it’s always a highly personal decision. We don’t really care how you contribute, only that you give what you can, when you can, however you choose. We always want you to feel comfortable and satisfied donating to BookSpring! Read more in Planned Giving about additional options for supporting our work.