I love to go to the park because it’s a great place to read a book! It’s nice to sit in the shade, or by the water, where it’s a little cool. I like being outside, and it’s a great place to read a book together! Where’s your favorite place to go outside?
Watch video, download books to read together, and explore things to do with BookSpring.
Reading Together at Home (or outdoors!)
Here are some books to read together! You can download and save them and keep them forever, to read again and again.
Things to Do Together
- Learn more with our partner Austin PBS: Download Nature Cat’s Great Outdoors App
- Grab a few books and head outside. Bring along a blanket to sit on, find a tree to lean up against, or cuddle up in an outdoor fort. Read together or allow your child time to him or herself – whichever feels appropriate.
- Create your own nature ABC book – can you find something for each letter? If you have paper and markers you can let your child draw a picture for each letter. If not, can you collect something for each letter? Take a picture of each item to make a digital book.
- Collect sticks, leaves, rocks, etc – only things you find in the ground (we don’t want to pull leaves, etc off trees), Now can you sort them – which things should go in the same pile? How are things the same/different? Now choose one pile to sort – if you have a sticks pile, can you arrange them by length or thickness? For leaves, can you arrange biggest to smallest?
Ways to move together
- Go on a listening walk – no talking, just listen to see what you can hear around you. On your way home, talk about the different things you heard. Were any of them something you wouldn’t have expected to hear?
At the end of the week, reflect on what you read and did.
- Did you…
- I learned…
Share with BookSpring
How did this activity go for your family? Please share your photos and stories with everyone by emailing them to email@example.com, or sharing them with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with #BookSpring #ReadTogether.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for new Weekly Themes.
Come back each Sunday for new Weekly Themes from BookSpring. Meanwhile, keep reading for more parent tips and recommendations!
BookSpring Weekly Themes are released for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. You are free to use and share this for personal and educational purposes but should not sell or license this content for commercial purposes. Please credit as: “by BookSpring Weekly Themes.”
CC BY-NC-SA 4.0