Bibi here. Do you ever feel different? Like butterflies, you can see them in many different colors: black, brown, white, and all shades in between. In the past, great leaders have worked to make sure all people feel like they belong. Books are a great way to remember and respect them.
Watch videos, download books to read together, and explore things to do with BookSpring.
Read Together at Home
Here are some books to read together! You can download and save them and keep them forever, to read again and again.
Things to Do Together
- Think about words like race, equality, and justice. Look up definitions of these words and think about how people are treated differently because of the way they look. Are there other things that affect how we are treated or treat people? Talk about how you would each like to be treated, and how you can be an instrument of positive change in our world.
- Make a list of words you would use to describe people you admire. Example: “Kind,” “fair,” “good listener,” etc
Take a trip:
- Take a virtual field trip to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Memorial monument in Washington, DC
- Take a virtual tour through this map of the Civil Rights movement
At the end of the week, reflect on what you read, and what you did.
- Who are some people in history or my life that I admire?
- What are the causes or problems I want to help get solved?
- What are things I can do to help people who don’t look like me?
Share with BookSpring!
How did this activity go for your family? Please share your photos and stories with everyone by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or sharing them with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with @bookspringatx and #ReadTogether.
More Ideas To Build Young Readers
Additional Extension Activities:
KLRU – Sawyer’s Show Learn about the achievements of George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Dolores Huerta by acting them out!
KLRU – El Show de Gabby ¡Aprende sobre los logros de George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, el Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. y Dolores Huerta actuandolos!
Read “As Fast as Words Could Fly” with Dulé Hill
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for new Weekly Themes.
BookSpring Weekly Themes are released for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. You are free to use and share this for personal and educational purposes.