Bibi here. Do you ever feel different? Like butterflies, you can see them in many different colors: black, brown, white, and all shades in between. In the past, great leaders have worked to make sure all people feel like they belong. Books are a great way to remember and respect them.
Watch videos, download books to read together, and explore things to do with BookSpring.
Read Together at Home
Things to Do Together
- Talk about words like equality and justice. Think about ways in which you are different from other people and ways in which you are the same. We’re all different, but we’re all humans that deserve the same rights and treatment.
- Ask each other how you would like to be treated, and brainstorm ways you can treat others that way.
- Trace the outline of your hand on a piece of paper, and inside the handwrite one way you would change the world if you could. For example, you could write “Give food to families that need it,” or “Stop pollution.” After you’ve written it, decorate it and cut it out, and hang it somewhere you will see it every day!
- MLK’s I have a dream speech
- Austin PBS resource on Civil Rights Leader MLK Jr (available in Spanish on the website)
- Think about this definition of equality: “Equality is achieved when people are treated the same, regardless of what they look like or where they come from.” Draw a picture of what equality in the world looks like to you!
At the end of the week, reflect on what you read, and what you did.
- Who are some people in history or my life that I admire?
- What are the causes or problems I want to help get solved?
- What are things I can do to help people who don’t look like me?
Share with BookSpring!
How did this activity go for your family? Please share your photos and stories with everyone by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or sharing them with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with @bookspringatx and #ReadTogether.
More Ideas To Build Young Readers
Additional Extension Activities:
KLRU – Sawyer’s Show Learn about the achievements of George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Dolores Huerta by acting them out!
KLRU – El Show de Gabby ¡Aprende sobre los logros de George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, el Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. y Dolores Huerta actuandolos!
Read “As Fast as Words Could Fly” with Dulé Hill
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for new Weekly Themes.
BookSpring Weekly Themes are released for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. You are free to use and share this for personal and educational purposes.