Amidst a great amount of change and uncertainty throughout the current public health crisis, we’d like to shine a spotlight on one of our partners who has gone above and beyond to serve and meet the immediate needs of Texans: H-E-B.
Last year, BookSpring and H-E-B partnered together to bring 20 books to over 300 families living in a historically economically disadvantaged neighborhood in Austin. BookSpring staff approached H-E-B to partner with us for this event because of their proven track record of commitment to our community through education initiatives like their Excellence in Education Awards, the H-E-B Read3 Literacy Initiative, and the H-E-B Buddy League.
Thanks to the teams at both the Corporate H-E-B offices and our local store, the event was wildly successful. Hundreds of children and families were able to choose 20 books in their home languages to take home and add to their home libraries. In addition to books, they also got to participate in a story time in our Pop Up Reading Room and meet H-E-Buddy!
Today our community is facing new challenges but team H-E-B has risen to the occasion to safely provide Texans with home essentials amidst a global pandemic.
H-E-B has set the tone for both safety to the public in their stores and among their employees, as well as making sure the most vulnerable Texans have safe access to groceries. Here are some of the measures H-E-B has taken to make sure Texans stay safe and fed no matter what:
- Making a $3 million commitment to support local organizations helping people most in need and working hard to combat the spread of coronavirus
- Launched “Texans Helping Texans” community-outreach initiative in partnership with Favor Delivery that provides seniors with a personal shopper and same-day delivery of groceries. This program includes a Senior Support Line which can be reached at 1-833-397-0080 every day. 11 am – 3 pm.
- Offered free curbside delivery to H-E-B’s with curbside capability and $5 Home Delivery
- Instituted a $2 an hour raise to every employee from March 16th to April 12th.
- Extended paid medical leave for those who fall ill during this season
- Provided infrastructure and personnel to ensure that social distancing happens in and around their stores
- Instituted product limits to ensure everyone has fair access to essential items
- Adapted store hours and operations to meet customer needs, specifically putting more resources towards restocking shelves each night
- Temporarily offering free delivery on all pharmacy orders
We are so proud to see H-E-B’s continued commitment to Texans through these measures and of course their consistent quality of goods and customer service. Their anticipation of needs and innovation in meeting them are qualities BookSpring is also dedicated in pursuing. Thank you, H-E-B for all that you’re doing for Texas! We’re honored to have partnered with you and are looking forward to a bright and healthy future.
To find an H-E-B near you, visit https://www.heb.com/