Mariela Rodriguez/Communications Director
Over the last three years, we have been recipients of book drives held by several professional meetings, events, or conferences engaging their members in community service or charitable projects. This is a great way to give back to your host city.
When attendees contribute to the host community, it builds a bond between the association or corporation and the city. This significantly increases the experience for attendees. The goal with this form of engagement is bonding and networking through their charitable efforts.
Here are some tips to help make the logistical aspects easier to handle.
- People are generally more open to giving an item rather than cash.
- Contact the beneficiary organization for local help to coordinate promotion and transportation of donation. Connect on social media to show your results and inspire others to contribute!
- Put links to the organization you’ll be working with on your website and in email marketing pieces.
- Allow the charity to set up a table or booth during the conference. Provide face time through a video or presentation.
- Send reminders to attendees of what they must bring to donate and who will benefit from their donation
The American Association of Law Libraries, Shire, and Commonwealth Financial Network made BookSpring the beneficiary of book drives hosted through their annual conference attendees. The wonderful books collected contributed to children in Central Texas building their home library of at least 20 books.