Submitted by Altaira Wallquist
I can’t ever remember not loving to read. My mom tells me that on the way home from my first day of Kindergarten, I was disappointed because we didn’t learn to read the first day. I did learn by Christmas and I’ve been in the middle of at least one book ever since.
Some of my favorite books are:
• The Harry Potter series by: J.K. Rowling
• The Twilight Saga by: Stephenie Meyer
• The Hunger Games Trilogy by: Suzanne Collins
• Ender’s Shadow part of the Ender’s Game series by: Orson Scott Card
• The Host by: Stephenie Meyer
• The Mysterious Benedict Society series by: Trenton Lee Stewart
• Out of My Mind by: Sharon M. Draper
• The Running Dream by: Van Draanen
• Life of Pi by: Yann Martel
• The Hobbit by: J.R.R. Tolkien.
I like to read because I can learn about new things and places. I like to read fiction because it helps me relax during busy days.
I am in 8th grade at Lake Travis Middle School. I also dive with Longhorn aquatics after school every day, and I am a Girl Scout Cadet. In Girl Scouts we can do a service project to earn the Silver Award. I chose to do a project that benefits Bookspring because reading is my favorite thing to do and I want to share that experience with younger kids.
When I began working with BookSpring, I learned that not everyone has easy access to books. I’m hoping to help change that. You can help by donating your time or some books to Bookspring. Everyone should have the chance to read.
BookSpring is very honored to be part of Altaira’s service project. This summer Altaira would stop by our office to sort and label books. Altaira helps coordinate book reviews for us to maintain quality control and is currently conducting a book drive to benefit our ReBook program.